home : about us : ahead of print : current issue : archives search instructions : subscriptionLogin 
Users online: 151      Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Print this page Email this page
 ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2008  |  Volume : 3  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 121-125

Surgical management of epilepsy associated with temporal lobe tumors


Department of Neurosurgery, Saifee Hospital, Dr. B. Nanavati Hospital, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Correspondence Address:
Suresh Sankhla
A-503, Chaitanya Towers, Appasaheb Marathe Road, Prabhadevi, Mumbai - 400 025, Maharashtra
India
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/1817-1745.40601

Rights and Permissions

Object: Despite advancement in neuroimaging and improvement in the knowledge of tumor behavior, the optimal surgical treatment of patients with temporal-lobe tumors remains unclear. Controversies still exist regarding the type of tumor surgery, i.e., lesionectomy alone or in combination with resection of mesial temporal structures and epileptogenic cortex adjacent to the tumor and the extent of tumor removal. In this retrospective study, the authors have analyzed seizure outcome in a series of children with epileptogenic temporal lobe tumors who had been treated only by lesionectomy. Materials and Methods: Sixteen patients including 7 boys and 9 girls, with a mean age of 9.9 years (range: 5-17 years) underwent lesionectomy as the only surgical treatment for temporal lobe tumor related epilepsy. The interval between onset of seizures and surgery ranged from 3 months to 7.5 year (mean 5.9 year). Ten patients (62.5%) presented with complex partial seizures and the remaining 6 (37.5%) had simple partial seizures with secondary generalization, with seizure frequency varying from several per day to only a few per month. All tumors were located within the temporal lobes: 8 temporomesial, 5 temporolateral and 3 temporobasal. Cortical dysplasia adjacent to tumor, hippocampal sclerosis or tumor infiltration was not demonstrated in any patient. Results: Gross total resection of the tumor was achieved in 11 (69%) and subtotal resection in 5 (31%) patients. The histopathological diagnosis was ganglioglioma in 6 (37.5%) patients, dysembryoplastic neuroepithelial tumor in 5 (31.3%), low-grade astrocytoma in 2 (12.5%), juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma in 2 (12.5%) and pleomorphic xanthoastrocytoma in 1 (6.3%). At a mean follow-up of 5.2 years (range, 1.4-9.3 years), 11 (69%) patients were seizure-free (Engel class I) and 4 (25%) others had a significant improvement in the seizure frequency (Engel class II). Conclusions: The results of this study suggest that good long-term seizure control can be achieved with lesionectomy alone in majority of children suffering from medically resistant epilepsy associated with temporal lobe tumors.






[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*


        
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed5265    
    Printed141    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded229    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal